Found this recipe at the end of last summer and I can’t tell you what a smashing hit it has been with my family. Now that I am on this new diet I’m sure I won’t be eating any of it. Hope you enjoy it this summer as much as we have.
- 1 pound of apple wood bacon
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups mayonnaise, divided
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced thin (about 5-7) (I used green onions)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups minced celery
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add macaroni and cook until very soft, 10-12 minute. Drain, return to cooking pot and immediately toss with vinegar. Let cool for ten minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 1/2 cup of the whole milk, the brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Once the macaroni has cooled for 10 minutes, toss with the mixed sauce and let cool to room temperature.
- Once cool, fold in the scallions (green onions), carrots, and celery. Whisk together the remaining 1 cup of mayonnaise and 1/2 cup milk and pour over macaroni salad. Toss well to coat. Chill until ready to serve.
- Dice bacon into small pieces and fry in cast iron skillet until crispy. Drain and cool. Top the macaroni salad before serving with bacon.