Found this recipe at the end of last summer and I can’t tell you what a smashing hit it has been with my family. Now that I am on this new diet I’m sure I won’t be eating any of it. Hope you enjoy it this summer as much as we have.
- 1 pound of apple wood bacon
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups mayonnaise, divided
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced thin (about 5-7) (I used green onions)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups minced celery
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add macaroni and cook until very soft, 10-12 minute. Drain, return to cooking pot and immediately toss with vinegar. Let cool for ten minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 1/2 cup of the whole milk, the brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Once the macaroni has cooled for 10 minutes, toss with the mixed sauce and let cool to room temperature.
- Once cool, fold in the scallions (green onions), carrots, and celery. Whisk together the remaining 1 cup of mayonnaise and 1/2 cup milk and pour over macaroni salad. Toss well to coat. Chill until ready to serve.
- Dice bacon into small pieces and fry in cast iron skillet until crispy. Drain and cool. Top the macaroni salad before serving with bacon.
There is no picture for this recipe this week either! I didn’t make our sauce from scratch this past week but I usually do. It’s so yummy and creamy with just a little “bite” to it as a good Alfredo sauce does have.
1 package of cream cheese (8 ounces)
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 cup milk
Mix cream cheese, parmesan cheese, and margarine, heating slowly, stirring frequently until smooth. Add milk to thin to desired consistency for your pasta.
About the time you start your pasta to cook you can start making your Alfredo sauce.
We are always on the hunt for new recipes. We get into ruts and it seems like we have the same old thing week after week. In an attempt to grow our “cookbook” we are trying a new recipe every week for a while. This one was new last week and was a hit. It’s even pretty good warmed up for leftovers. Sorry no pictures this time. 😦
- 3-4 Chicken breasts, cooked and diced. (you can use any chicken meat)
- Salsa (recipe below or 1 cup pre-made)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1 small (4 ounce) can of green chilies, diced
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
Spray 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Mix chicken, salsa, and sour cream. Spread layer of chicken mixture on bottom of pan. Sprinkle with one cup of crushed tortilla chips and then one cup of shredded cheddar. Repeat one more time. Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.